The Cape Mendocino Light, A Lifesaver on the California Coast
The Cape Mendocino Light has been a lifesaver along the California coast for decades. While it shines at a different location than what it once was, this beacon has an interesting history to share.
Originally located at Cape Mendocino, the light was built in 1868. After several shipwrecks occurred off the Pacific Coast in the area. It once stood 43 feet tall into the California sky. Atop its pedestal this lighthouse was at the highest focal plane than any others in the United States.
In the early 1900s, a light keepers house was built at the Cape Mendocino Light. Most of the keepers would keep cows or horses in their spare time for extra money.
Despite the installation of the lighthouse and a lightship, many shipwrecks still occurred off the rocky coast of the cape.
The lighthouse was automated shortly after World War II and then later abandoned. In 1998, the lighthouse was dismantled and the top portion placed it its current location.
How to Visit
Located on the cliffs of Shelter Cove, the Cape Mendocino Light still stands today. It is located at 1176 Lower Pacific Drive. The lighthouse is available for tours on occasion.
For more information please click here.
Thanks for reading and as always, keep on truckin’.